Welcome to my blog, which speaks to parents, professionals who work with children, and policy makers. I aim to show how contemporary developmental science points us on a path to effective prevention, intervention, and treatment, with the aim of promoting healthy development and wellbeing of all children and families.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mourning and music: a song for Boston

I had been working on a post on the subject of mourning and music. But with the trauma of the Boston Marathon bombing still so fresh, it did not seem appropriate to write about any other subject. I wondered, what could I add to the discussion? Then this morning, with the idea of music as a means to connect with feelings on my mind,  I heard on the radio the song Learn Me Right by Mumford and Sons. The lyrics, specifically the chorus (not the verses), are perfectly fitting to the moment, though the "scream" with hope will be one of joy,  not terror. And the music, particularly the version performed by Birdy for the movie Brave, captures the spirit of resilience. It can represent hope for the triumph of the people of Boston and of the Marathon itself. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me, and perhaps for others, the music can help connect with the feelings of the day.

We will run and scream
You will dance with me
We’ll fulfill our dreams and we’ll be free
We will be who we are
And they’ll heal our scars
Sadness will be far away


No comments:

Post a Comment